German Chancellor Olaf Scholz said that the EU will respond strongly to the tariffs announced by the US President Donald Trump, but also stressed that the bloc is open.
“It is clear that we will react clearly and resolutely to the US Tariff Policy,” Scholz said before the opening of a trade exhibition in Hanover.
However, the bloc “always is ready to compromise and work for a compromise and work for cooperation.”
“I tell me: European goal is to cooperate. But if the United States does not make us a choice, we will respond as a combined European Union,” he said.
Trump announced tariffs about a 25 percent world of auto imports, including US allies and enemies, including next week.
25 percent of steel and aluminum from the world’s fourth area, resulting in the beginning of March, the EU began to start in April.
As a large car manufacturer and exporter, Germany could be particularly strict by auto tariffs, and they were the topic of the visit to Washington by Finance Minister Joerg Kuies last week.
Germany reacted harshly to the tariffs, insists that the government spokesman is “Nothing to leave the table.”
However, Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni has called a more controversial tone on Saturday, called “justified” approach to the growing debate.
EU leaders Ursula Von Der Leien also said that before “Deep,” said the United States was regretted to car tariffs and EU “to continue negotiations.”
Sunday Scholz, as well as Canada is an independent country, said that the Trump replies to the 51st US state, which meets the comments by Trump.
“Canada is a proud, independent nation, and in Canada has friends all over the world and especially in Germany and Europe,” he said at the Hannover Trade Exhibition.
Canada is a special guest at the event officially opened on Monday.
This story was first displayed on Fortune.com